[Ontbirds] Hawk Cliff OFO Trip

Gavin Platt gavin.platt at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 16:53:00 EDT 2011

Just over 20 birders attended the OFO trip to Hawk Cliff today. There were
good numbers of raptors moving at Hawk Cliff throughout the morning,
highlighted by 10 Golden and 1 Bald Eagles, 1 Rough-legged Hawk and several
Red-shouldered Hawks among large numbers of Red-tailed Hawks and smaller
numbers of other species. There were very few birds around on the ground
(best were a Fox Sparrow and a Purple Finch, unfortunately not seen by most
of the group), but large numbers of birds overhead with 1000s of blackbirds
(including at least 200 Rusty Blackbirds), many Pine Sisks and several
hundred Tundra Swans.

After Hawk Cliff, we visited Port Stanley, where there were many gulls
around, although nothing more exciting than a few Great Black-backeds. On
the beach were 4 Sanderling and a flock of Snow Buntings.

We finished off the day at Port Stanley Sewage Lagoons, where we located 5
species of shorebird (Dunlin, Pectoral Sandpiper, Greater Yellowlegs,
Killdeer and 1 Long-billed Dowitcher) amongst the numerous waterfowl and
Bonaparte's Gulls.

The species total for the day was 72 species.

 Thank you to all the participants and to the counters at Hawk Cliff for
their assistance.

Good Birding,

Gavin Platt, Ian Platt, Rob Read

Directions:
*Hawk Cliff *
>From *EAST* 401:  Take the Highbury south cut off at London, follow
Highbury (Hwy 30) south to St. Thomas. Highbury changes into South Edgeware
at a large curve in the road to the west. Follow South Edgeware west to the
first set of traffic lights - Burwell Road, turn left (south) and stay on
this road. It becomes Fairview Ave (Regional Road 22), which runs directly
into Hawk Cliff Road. You will see a sign for Hawkes Cliff Farm, where they
sell fresh vegetables and a gravel road just beyond sign. Just continue
down gravel road to viewing area.

>From *WEST* 401:  Take the Highway # 4 (Colonel Talbot Rd.) exit south,
through Talbotville, road now is Sunset Rd. continue towards St. Thomas;
you will come to a veer in the road, straight up to St. Thomas, veer to the
right for Port Stanley, follow Highway 4, now Sunset to Port Stanley. As
you approach Port Stanley you will come to a large curve  in the road with
a sign saying East St, to the left. Take East St., and follow it to the
first road left, (opposite Port Stanley Water Tower) Dexter Line. Follow
Dexter Line approximately 2 km. and turn right down gravel road at Hawkes
Cliff Farm, and follow gravel road to viewing area

*Port Stanley Sewage Lagoons*
>From the town of Port Stanley on Lake Erie, take Highway 4 west over the
river, then go north on County Road 20. At the next stop sign, go left and
up a large hill. This road is called Lake Road. At the top of the hill take
a right onto Scotch Road and go 1.1 km to the lagoon complex on the left
side of the road.