[Ontbirds] Franklin's Gull - Grand Bend beach

Maris Apse apsemaris at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 9 19:18:08 EST 2011

Hi all !  ~ 4:30 pm there was an adult Franklin's Gull on the water just north of the pier along with over 100 Bonaparte's, many of which were flying around the end of the pier. Somebody must have clanged the dinner bell as they all flew north to just off the main parking lot for a feeding frenzy. My scope was still on where the Franklin's was - I checked and it was gone, so I scanned the frenzy up the beach and re-found the bird in flight.
          Yesterday afternoon off Ipperwash beach at Army camp Rd there were about 50 bonies and about the same down at Kettle Point, wheras on Monday I saw over 400 along with a single adult Little Gull working their way south from Ipperwash Rd in quite a frenzied feeding flock. It's hard to stay at home and finish the fall chores with all this action. Penny and I also saw 1 Red-throated Loon quite close to the pier yesterday and a family of 3 Sandhill Crane at 'Bressette's' near Indian Line @ K.P.(local breeders?)
                                                               Cheers!   Maris