[Ontbirds] POSSIBLE Alcid @ Presqu'ile.

Fred Helleiner fhelleiner at trentu.ca
Sat Dec 3 07:57:23 EST 2011

Normally I wouldn't post an unidentified bird, but this one seems worth
providing a "head's up" to birders.  On Friday afternoon a bird was
swimming fairly far out off the lighthouse at Presqu'ile Provincial Park
that has had me wondering about it ever since.  My first call was Horned
Grebe, but in the 20 minutes or so that I watched it before losing it in
the waves I never felt comfortable with that identification.  For one
thing, it never raised its head/neck to the erect position typical of a
Horned Grebe.  The bill, which seemed to be open all the time, was
dainty like that of a Horned Grebe.  I had no field guide with me at the
time to compare its plumage with other possible birds.  If anyone with
experience of alcids could find the bird and confirm that it was not
one, I should be grateful.  I should be even more grateful if someone
with experience of alcids could find it and confirm that it _is_ an
alcid, perhaps a murrelet, and rush to my door nearby to come and get me.

To reach Presqu'ile Provincial Park, follow the signs from Brighton.
Locations within the Park are shown on a map at the back of a tabloid
that is available at the Park gate.

--
--
Fred Helleiner

186 Bayshore Road,
Brighton, Ontario, Canada, K0K 1H0
VOICE: (613) 475 5309
If visiting, access via Presqu'ile Provincial Park.