[Ontbirds] Black-legged Kittiwake at Point Pelee

Blake A. Mann boatmann at kent.net
Sun Dec 4 15:25:47 EST 2011

The juv BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE (as reported by Alan Wormington December 1)
was still present on Concession D in the flooded field.  There are hundreds
of gulls here!  Not a typical kittiwake hangout!

The first cycle FRANKLIN'S GULL is still hanging around Sturgeon Creek
Marina (first reported by Kevin McLaughlin November 17).  There are at least
8 CACKLING GEESE here in the open water among hundreds of Canada Geese and
one "Blue" Goose.

A SNOWY OWL was on Concession E in a corn field near Mersea Rd. 19 (alerted
to me by Richard Carr this morning).  Could be more Snowy Owls around.  I
found 3 others on the way home!

I did a Tip Watch this morning and noted a fairly late SANDERLING flying by.
Only one distant Common Loon seen.

Directions:  Just outside Point Pelee National Park is Concession Rd. E.
Follow to almost very end and look north for the Snowy Owl.  At the end of E
is Mersea Rd. 19.  Go up to D and look at the flooded field.  I found the
Kittiwake close to Rd. 19.

Cheers,
Blake A. Mann
Wallaceburg, Chatham-Kent