[Ontbirds] Smew

Astrid Akkerman akkerman at vaxxine.com
Tue Dec 27 20:57:29 EST 2011

On Tuesday,Dec.27 at approximately 3:30 PM. the Smew was spotted in Whitby Harbour, where it was diving and fishing for about 15 minutes. Then it circled and flew to the area of water just to the west where it stayed, making spotting it difficult. A scope was needed. A life bird for me and Jim Thomson. Instructions to get there: From highway 401 in Whitby, exit at Brock St.(exit 410) and follow it south 2km. to where Brock St. turns eastward and becomes Water St. Park in the parking lot. We had great close up views of the Smew right there. Happy birding and Happy New Year....Astrid Akkerman