[Ontbirds] Horned Grebe and Snowy Owls - Amherst Island

Peggy Hauschildt digigal at sympatico.ca
Thu Dec 29 21:28:05 EST 2011

Sharon David, Carol Noel, and I birded Amherst Island this afternoon for two hours.  The highlight of the day was a Horned Grebe which we spotted out on the water near the turn-off to the Owl Woods along the South Shore Road.  Other birds of note included three Snowy Owls on the island and one in a field in the village of Millhaven, one Rough-Legged Hawk, two Northern Harriers, three Long-Tailed Ducks, close to 100 Common Goldeneyes, four Buffleheads, three Red-Tailed Hawks, four American Kestrels, one Merlin, and three Short-Eared Owls.
Directions:  Drive west along Bath Road, which turns into Hwy 33, from Kingston.  Continue following Hwy 33.  The Amherst Island ferry dock is on the south side of the road once you have passed through the village of Millhaven.  The ferry leaves the mainland on the half-hour and the cost is $9 return.
Peggy HauschildtKingston, ON