[Ontbirds] Purple Sandpiper - Ipperwash Beach nr. Kettle Point

Maris Apse apsemaris at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 6 20:15:09 EST 2012

Hi all!
    At 1615 hrs I saw this bird and got close enough to video it on the small rocky point ~ 1/2 km to the north of the main K.P.  I've probably looked for one here many times over many years - it just looks so right for one.
    Pete Chapman had spotted one about a week ago feeding around all the detritus on the beach further south and closer to K.P. - likely the same bird(I called Pete). We had some major wind and very cold conditions Jan 1-3 and I did look for this bird on Jan 2. To-day was very comfortable, weather forecast is good and the bird seemed quite relaxed, approachable and showed no anxiety.
      A Snowy Owl was on the shingle beach between the 2 main islands of the point and a couple of Glaucous Gull were way out on the rocks to the south of it. I also counted 30 Cedar Waxwings at Riverside/Erie in Port Franks ~1500hrs.
                                                                                                                                         Cheers!   Maris

Directions - from corner of Hwy #21 and Lakeshore Rd(#7). Access to the beach is from foot of West Ipperwash Road - the beach is quite bumpy but drivable - the worst conditions being  around this outcrop of rock - drive carefully. The area can also be accessed from the south end at the foot of Middle Road - turn left off West Ipperwash and all the way to the end or right off Indian Line onto Centre Road and left onto Middle Road.

Maris Apse,  10094 Red Pine Road,  Box 22 B.O.P.   RR2 Grand Bend   ON   N0M 1T0