[Ontbirds] Eastern Phoebe - Dorchester, ON

Jarmo Jalava jjalava at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 7 05:13:36 EST 2012

At about 2:30 PM, Friday, January 6, I and four colleagues observed an Eastern Phoebe outside the living room window while attending a work-related meeting at a private home just north of Dorchester (east of London).

When I left the meeting a short while later I noted several midge-like flying insects, as well as some cluster flies that had emerged on the south wall of the house in the balmy weather.

The homeowner had not previously seen this bird this winter and I suspect it has been lingering in the general area but probably not at this precise location: on the south side of Marion Street, 1.1 km west of Road 73 / Elgin Road, about 3.5 km north of Hwy 401, .

There is a farm with barns and other outbuildings that might be attractive to a wintering Eastern Phoebe directly opposite the driveway of the house (which in the woods, quite far back from the road) where the bird was seen.

Jarmo Jalava

jjalava at yahoo.com

"Birding...could not, of course, explain the meaning of what I saw.
But it did, like poetry, force me to look up." -- Jonathan Rosen