[Ontbirds] Peterborough - Pileated Woodpecker(s)

Keith Linton klinton at netrover.com
Mon Jan 9 02:13:55 EST 2012

On January 1st, Dave Milsom led an OFO group for a day of birding around Peterborough. We saw a MALE Pileated Woodpecker (red facial marking) while driving from one location to another but could not stop for fear of losing the group.

Today, Jan 8, my 14 year old daughter and I pursued this lead and explored the northern area of Peterborough by the Trent University campus along the Otonabee River on Nassau Mills Rd. We were semi-successful, finding a FEMALE Pileated, 2km north of the turn off of Water Street. With the much improved weather, we were able to get some photos that we worked rather hard to get:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150457440986245.357654.585991244&type=1&l=828083ad7f

0.5km North of the Peterborough Zoo (signs and directions are abundant), Water Street crosses a bridge to the right at a signalled intersection for Nassau Mills Rd. The rather pleasant drive follows closely along the east side of the river and the first several kilometers seems to be the territory of at least two birds, possibly a pair.

Since we started out at the Zoo, I should report our sightings there as well:

Peterborough Zoo 0800hrs, Jan 8 2012
Weather - Clear, sunny and -9C, light breeze

30 American Robins (...which seemed slightly unusual?)
15 American Goldfinches
6 Mourning Doves
2 Red-tailed Hawks sitting within a foot of each other overlooking the river
2 Downy Woodpeckers
2 White-breasted Nuthatches
1 Hairy Woodpecker

and one apparently "free range" fox.

(...how many would qualify as a Plethora of Chickadees...?)

We were hoping to see some finches or grosbeaks (etc) but admit to being rank amateurs at finding them. Need to study food sources...

Cheers!

Keith Linton