[Ontbirds] White-winged Crossbills, Snowy Owl east of Ottawa - NO Varied Thrush

PETER HALL halljp at rogers.com
Mon Jan 9 17:56:39 EST 2012

Hi Ontbirders:

Spent the afternoon on the south edge of the Larose Forest east of Ottawa starting with a look for the reported Varied Thrush at a bird feeder at 988 Calypso Road. Despite several trips to the location and discussions with other birders who had been there on and off over the day, the bird was not re-located. The home owner came out at the end of the day to say he had not seen it that day. I then went on to see if the Black-backed Woodpecker reported yesterday at the east end of Larose Forest was still there, but it did not make an appearance and others who visited the site also reported it as absent. However, on the way between the two sites, I travelled up the Bernard Road through some nice spruce forest and encountered several dozen White-winged Crossbills in two flocks. They were feeding on spruce cones in the tops of the trees. I ended the day before dusk further east near Ste-Rose north of Highway 417 and saw one darker Snowy Owl flying alongside
 my car on Concession Road 20.

Good Birding

 Peter Hall

Directions: From Highway 417 driving east from Ottawa, exit at Limoges. Then head north for one/half kilometre and turn right at Calypso Road. Follow it for about 6 kilometres and look for number 988. To reach Bernard Road, continue on Calypso until it turns north into the Larose Forest and becomes Bernard.