[Ontbirds] Common Grackle - Howe Island (Kingston)

Sharon David sharon.e.david at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 11:04:22 EST 2012

I just saw the male Common Grackle which I had last seen on December
31st.  He is present on and around my property on Howe Island, east
of Kingston.  I also saw the resident male Red-bellied Woodpecker and
a lone female cowbird this morning.  The cold weather and snow cover
is bringing more birds to the feeder.  Water is still fully open.

Directions:
Howe Island is located about a 15 minute drive east of Kingston,
between Kingston and Gananoque, accessible via Hwy 2, or Hwy 401 to
Joyceville Road south, to the Howe Island Ferry road.  Take the
county operated ferry ($5 per round trip; no fixed schedule as on
demand; closed for some breaks on the weekend 12-12:30, 2:30-2:45 and
4:30-4:45).  Continue straight off the ferry to the second road on
the right (Baseline Road), next left (Goodfriend road), and then the
next left on Havenwood Trail to #80.

Sharon David
80 Havenwood Trail, RR#4  (Howe Island)
Gananoque, ON  K7G 2V6 Canada