[Ontbirds] Harlan's Red-Tail - Oakville

Greg Coniglio gconigl3 at rochester.rr.com
Sun Jan 15 23:03:17 EST 2012

Hi everyone!  We spent this beautiful but cold day birding various locations
in Southern Ontario.

.         Just missed the King Eider I believe at Port Weller, both in the
late morning and late afternoon.  Melissa noted a Belted Kingfisher fly down
the canal in addition to the many waterfowl.  No sign of either Snowy Owl,
either

.         Found the Snowy Owl a distance away in the field east of Ninth
Line, north of Burnamthorpe, just before 9th Line goes under 403 (about at
43.523095 N, -79.723312 W)

.         Most interesting sighting of the day was a very interested
WESTERN/HARLAN'S RED-TAILED HAWK, on a utility tower right at the
intersection of Dundas and the 403 (at 43.513089 N -79.692861 W).  Has
anyone noted this bird before?  He was actively hunting, using the tower as
a base, but missed twice.  Posted three photos that Melissa took to Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wgrc1971/sets/72157628889992327/

.         No Snowy on Eastport Dr in Burlington but watched perhaps the most
cooperative American Kestrel ever enjoying a mouse he had just caught.

Great birding, everyone!

Melissa and Greg Coniglio

Alden, New York