[Ontbirds] The passing of Don Shanahan

Ian Shanahan r.ian.shanahan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 12:39:05 EST 2012

Hello Ontario birders:

I am deeply saddened to announce the passing of my dad, Don Shanahan.  He
was 67.  His battle with Mesothelioma ended very peacefully at the family
home in Brighton surrounded by family and friends.  This came mere days
after returning from a two-week visit to the Yucatan peninsula where Dad
enjoyed his beloved tropics one last time.  His final lifer was a Crane
Hawk that was seen at close range from the balcony of our suite.  He was
also thrilled to see some familiar warblers such as parulas, redstarts and
"maggies".

He came to birding shortly after retiring from teaching biology in Toronto
and did the vast majority of his Ontario birding at nearby Presqu'ile
Provincial Park where he developed a deep love for shorebirds and
warblers.  This spread to an overall love for the natural world which he
shared with me and many patrons during trips with Quest Nature Tours.  He
never forced a love of nature on me, but it is a passion I will carry with
me hereafter.

A down-to-Earth sort of guy, my dad would like to be remembered at an
informal party at the family home in Brighton.  This will take place in
May- his favourite month and the time when shorebirds and warblers are
close at hand.

Two visitations will take place at the Walas Funeral Home at 130 Main
Street West in Brighton this coming Saturday the 21st of January from 2-4
and 7-9pm.  Information on donations is forthcoming, but I do know that
there will be both a cancer-related and a bird-related organization
involved.

Think of my dad the next time you see a Red Knot or Whimbrel on the
Presqu'ile beach in May.

Best wishes,

Ian Shanahan and family