[Ontbirds] Back Yard Birds

Richard Hardman rnhardman at live.ca
Thu Jan 19 20:11:31 EST 2012

Hello all,

In spite of the blizzard we had most of the usual visitors to are backyard feeders today and three special visitors.
The first was a Red Tailed Hawk who was first seen at 07:45 fighting against the 60K winds over the hay field.  The Red Tail came back several times during the day and roosted for a while in one of our walnuts.  Every other bird in the yard did a vanishing act with each appearance.

The White Crowned Sparrows which have been making an appearance for the last three days appeared again today.  They seem to be hanging around with the American Tree Sparrows which are daily visitors.

The highlight of the day was an adult Cooper's Hawk.  While I was quietly reading every bird at the feeders and especially the 30 or so Mourning Doves digging below them exploded in every direction.  It was then that I saw feathers falling and went to take a look.  An adult Coopers Hawk then came through the yard and landed on a pile of brush on the east side of the yard.  He stayed there for about 5 minutes and gave us the opportunity to have a good look.  I blew the photos by leaving the camera on auto focus.  I have a nice picture of part of the trunk of a maple with a very out of focus Hawk.  I hope he gives me another chance.

I live on Concession 13, 2.5 Kms west of Townsend.  It is one concession north of the Townsend Sewage Lagoons.  The Fire #1560.

Richard Hardman