[Ontbirds] Swans, Whitby Harbour

klinton at netrover.com klinton at netrover.com
Mon Jan 30 16:40:49 EST 2012

Jan 29 2012 1400hrs

Whitby Harbour

Directions: From the Brock St. exit of the 401 continue south 2km to the parking lot.

WITNESSED:

At the Brock St. bridge 0.5km north of the harbour, an older gentleman and his young grand-daughter feeding Mallards and several Trumpeter swans near the road, before almost backing over our good friend C-15 (wing-tagged swan). I stopped him just in time.

C-15, his pal I-53, and others, have become tame, surely devaluing the work done to tag them. They run toward the road any time a car stops. They WILL eventually be injured, esp. if someone stops on the opposite side of the road.

Says he, attempting to make 'swan pancakes!'

:(

VIEWED in the harbour area:

750 Canada Geese
50 Gulls (there's only one species....right?)
20 Mute Swans
15 m and f Greater Scaups
8 male Buffleheads
5 m and f Common Mergansers
1 male Redhead
and several Mallards

There are reports that a Snowy Owl was present last week.

Cheers!

Keith Linton

On a lighter note, Keith's Bird Joke o' the Day:

Q: What did the birding banker bemoan?

A: The scarcity of Borrowing Owls.

(Don't worry, I won't give up my day job...)