[Ontbirds] Prince Edward County - Mountain Bluebird yes, Townsend's Solitaire no

Tony Bigg tanddbigg at sympatico.ca
Tue Feb 14 10:01:11 EST 2012

Martin Parker, Jerry Ball and I went looking for the Townsend's Solitaire
yesterday, in Prince Edward County. At the spot indicated by the previous
observers we found the Cedar Waxwings and large flock of American Robins
just east of Duck Dive Charters, but no solitaire. About 300m west of the
Duck Dive Charters we found a very active female Mountain Bluebird. It was
flitting around from deciduous tree to Red Cedar to the power line wires
always staying well in sight.

Tony Bigg

Directions courtesy of Kathy Felkar and Mike Burge:

To reach Prince Edward Point National Wildlife Area, take Main Street from
the east end of downtown Picton, down the "Town Hill", and turn immediately
right onto Union Street (directly across from Tip of the Bay Motel). Follow
Union Street out of Picton (becomes County Road 8) for 2.5 km, and at the
junction in the highway, follow County Road 17. Take County Road 17 for 6.5
km and look for the Black River Cheese sign, and turn left onto County Road
16 and follow for 1 km to the Stop sign at County Road 13. Follow County
Road 13 past Black River Cheese for 23.6 km to the Prince Edward Point
National Wildlife Area (County Road 13 eventually becomes Long Point Road).
Follow the Long Point Road until you see Ducks Dive Charters.