[Ontbirds] Red Crossbills (Eardley-Escarpment Gatineau Park)

willott123 at sympatico.ca willott123 at sympatico.ca
Tue Feb 14 13:58:16 EST 2012

Hi Ontbirders:

A subsequent visit to the Eardley-Masham area showed far fewer finches than was seen on Sunday...which was a great day.  Only spotted 4 Red Crossbills feeding along the road. Numbers of Pine Siskins were seen although not in the large numbers as seen on Sunday. Two Ruffed Grouse were resting under a tree just beside the road. Another was seen along a well-worn pathway making for three in total. Just outside the park's boundaries, a group of 8 Wild Turkeys and one White-Breasted Nuthatch. Seeing finches along the Eardley-Masham road can be a hit and miss endeavour changing from day to day. However, I have managed to see Red Crossbills and good numbers of Pine Siskins on every visit so far. Thanks.

Some more photos of the Red Crossbills in various plumages.

http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/141499575/original

http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/141479448/original

Close-up of a male Red Crossbill.
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/141479339/original