[Ontbirds] re siskins in Algonquin Park

Kingdon Baker kingdonbaker at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 09:36:45 EST 2012

Fellow Birders,
       I do a 10 km ski loop in the park regularly and this year I did it
right after Christmas and then a week later and then yesterday(Feb 28) On
the first and second trip there were a few Siskins but yesterday there were
large flocks feeding on the abundant Spruce cone crop. Some activity on
Hemlock as well.  Interesting the birds on the road getting sand were
usually in pairs (possible breeding behaviour)  The Ravens were doing their
aerial courting and tracks showed a male Fisher walking with a female.
Since they are usually solitary I guess that means the obvious.
Chipmunks have come out.
King Baker