[Ontbirds] Bohemian Waxwings and Cassiar's Junco - Scugog Twp.

Geoff Carpentier geoff.carpentier at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 11:32:25 EST 2012

Today the yard is very active with many bird reacting to the two day snowfall we're experiencing.

Pine Siskins are very vocal and courtship flights are ongoing. About 10 Bohemian Waxwings joined the usual 25-50 Cedars in the yard today (this is my 100th species for my new yard list). Also around was a single Golden-crowned Kinglet.

One exciting find was a Cassiar's Junco, from western Canada, that has been here sporadically since mid-January. I was able to photograph it last time it was here and Ron Pittaway and Jean Iron were most helpful in assisting me in IDing it.

See Ron's article in OFO News for some background on the Cassiar's.   http://www.jeaniron.ca/2011/cassiarjuncoRF.pdf

Lakeridge Rd. and Reach St, Scugog Twp.

Geoff Carpentier
www.avocetnatureservices.com