[Ontbirds] Cameron Ranch/ Windmill ranch on Carden Alvar birding opportunities

Dan Bone dan.bone at xplornet.com
Sun Mar 4 10:47:05 EST 2012

This posting approved by Mark Cranford

Cameron Ranch and Windmill Ranch Birding Opportunities:
 Volunteers needed to conduct point counts
Contact Dan Bone at dan.bone at xplornet.com

On Sunday, May 27th and Saturday, June 9th, 2012, birders have a unique
opportunity to walk out on prime Carden Alvar grassland habitat usually
inaccessible to the public. This will be the 8th year the Ontario Field
Ornithologists organization (OFO) has joined forces with the Toronto
Ornithological Club (TOC) and the Couchiching Conservancy to gather point
count data. The ranches are less than 2 hours by car north east of Toronto.
We have recorded a Henslow's Sparrow on two occasions and, along with
Loggerhead Shrike, we get an abundance of grassland species such as
Grasshopper Sparrow, Vesper Sparrow, Upland Sandpiper and Bobolink. Shrub
land species such as Golden-winged Warbler and Clay-coloured Sparrow are
recorded in good numbers. The wildflowers, particularly Indian Paintbrush
and Prairie Smoke, are spectacular.
Birders with all levels of expertise can participate as we send out parties
of 3 or 4, mixing experienced point counters with those who want to learn.
Birding by ear is the skill that is most useful in conducting point counts
so young birders with sharp hearing are very valuable.
To learn more about Cameron Ranch (location, pictures and history) visit:
http://www.couchichingconserv.ca/protecting-nature/maps/cameron-ranch-alvar/
.For details and to sign-up please contact Dan Bone at dan.bone at xplornet.com
or (705) 887-4691.