[Ontbirds] Horned Larks, Longspurs (east of Ottawa) - Northern Hawk Owl

willott123 at sympatico.ca willott123 at sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 4 21:35:23 EST 2012

Hi Ontbirders:

Took a drive out to the St. Isidore area this afternoon....east of Casselman  Although I wasn't looking for them, other birders there mentioned seeing up to 4 Snowy Owls in the fields along the Concession roads there.  The Varied Thrush along Calypso Road in Limoges was also mentioned as being seen.

Although I did not see any Snow Buntings, quite a number of Horned Larks and Lapland Longspurs were seen feeding along the concession roads surrounding Ste Rose street.  What appears to be a dark morph Rough-Legged Hawk was also seen.  Not 100% positive on the ID but based on photos, that's what it appears to be.  Thanks.

PS.  Just for the record, a Northern Hawk Owl has been seen in the Prescott-Russell area since mid-November.  I have been watching the owl since January 2012.  The owl hasn't been seen for a couple of weeks although it could still be in the area given the abundant open fields at the location.  These owls usually leave some time in early March.

Northern Hawk owl photos.  Photos sent to OFO photo page along with dates seen.
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/141759133/original

http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/141836193/original

http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/141865790/original

W. Hum
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/some_recent_shots

Directions:
For Snowy Owls, Horned Larks and Lapland Longspurs, from Ottawa, take the 417 east to exit 58.  Turn left to Concession 20 and trun right onto it.  Continue to Ste-Rose.  Check the fields along Concession 20 and the connecting concession roads.