[Ontbirds] Apr 1 - Interesting Gull in Toronto

Lev Frid lev.frid at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 08:04:40 EDT 2012

Hi Birders,

I was strolling along the lakefront in Toronto this morning wielding only
an everything bagel and a double-double and only had my small camera with
me, when an interesting gull flew by.

I managed to get one mediocre picture. My best guess is Great Black-backed
Gull but this didn't look like the photos in my field guide. It had a much
longer bill and tail than in any photos I saw, and the black didn't
actually go up to the back of the bird. It looked a lot bigger than the
other gulls nearby, but I know size is difficult to judge. Otherwise it
looked pretty good for Black-backed, but especially at this time of year
who knows what might show up!

I have the picture here for those interested -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/levfrid/6887464542/sizes/l/

It's probably nothing but I wanted it to get out there just in case. You
can e-mail me privately for directions.

I also saw some canadian geese (unsure of species), and some kind of eagle
off Royal York on my way back.

Happy April!

Cheers,

Lev Frid