[Ontbirds] Carden Alvar - OFO Field Trip

Jean Iron jeaniron at sympatico.ca
Mon May 28 10:28:53 EDT 2012

The OFO group had excellent and lengthy views of a Loggerhead Shrike near
bluebird box 10 on Wylie Road, which was the highlight of the trip on Sunday
(May 27). There are now only about 11 pairs on the Carden Alvar of this
critically endangered migrans subspecies in Canada. In the morning we walked
north on Wylie Road to the Sedge Wren Marsh. Many Brown Thrashers, Baltimore
Orioles, Bobolinks and Eastern Meadowlarks were singling loudly along the
route. We also had a singing Grasshopper Sparrow perched on a mullein stalk
and Eastern Towhee. We missed Sedge Wren for the first time in many years.

After lunch at the Lift Lock, we viewed an adult Great Horned Owl with two
young in an old Great Blue Heron's nest in the small active heronry on the
east side of Shrike Road south of McNamee Road. Seven Upland Sandpipers were
along Shrike Road. At marshes adjacent Prospect Road south of Highway 48 we
had Blue-winged Teal, Virginia Rail and Marsh Wren. We ended the day with
Green Heron and Clay-colored Sparrow. Other highlights for the day were
seeing both Alder and Willow Flycatchers singing their distinctive songs.
Carden's signature wildflower, Prairie Smoke, covered the alvar meadows.

I thank Eleanor Beagan, Ron Pittaway and Ron Tozer for helping everybody
identify birds by sight and songs.

Directions: Carden Alvar Birding Guide and Map. Print a copy and map for use
in the field.
http://www.ofo.ca/reportsandarticles/cardenalvar.php

Jean Iron
Toronto ON