[Ontbirds] Sedge Wrens North of Madoc

Konchog Norbu palyulmonk at yahoo.com
Mon May 28 21:01:06 EDT 2012

After the whole enormous group dipped on Sedge Wren at Carden Alvar yesterday, I was amazed and delighted to discover at least two calling birds 100 meters from my door! I realize now they've been there at least a week, but it wasn't until yesterday that I got some idea of what call to listen for, and confirmed it listening to a recording online. If anyone knows how to contact David Suarez from Montreal who was on the CA field trip, Sedge Wren was one of the birds he drove so far to see, and I'd like to get him this info.

The birds are toward the back of the tall grass field directly across and just slightly west from the end of the driveway, under the hydro lines, at the Orgyan Dzong Buddhist Retreat Centre, north of Madoc near the hamlet of Cooper. To get there go east on 7 from where it crosses 62. Take the first left heading north on Cooper Rd. Passing through Cooper after several kilometers, turn right on Lingham Lake Rd. After about 8.8 kilometers, Orgyan Dzong is on the left, #1755, at the base of Mount Moriah. Birding on the road is fine (you can easily hear the birds from the road), as is gently walking the fields, but please email me first if you want to come onto the property and visit the centre.

Konchog