[Ontbirds] Fw: Immature Little Blue Heron among 493 Great Egrets roosting at Holiday Beach C. A., Amherstburg

Weseloh,Chip [Ontario] Chip.Weseloh at ec.gc.ca
Mon Jul 23 22:59:34 EDT 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: Weseloh,Chip [Ontario]
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2012 10:45 PM
To: 'ontbirds at hwcn.org' <ontbirds at hwcn.org>
Subject: Immature Little Blue Heron among 493 Great Egrets roosting at Holiday Beach C. A., Amherstburg

Tonight, from 7:00 to 9:00, Kory Renaud and I counted Great Egrets individually as they came in to roost in a large woodlot SW of the Hawk Watch Tower at HBCA, where he had posted on them last night (see below). We counted in 10 minute periods and only tallied egrets we saw land in the woodlot. At the end of our count we had tallied 493 Great Egrets. At 825, we onserved a small white egret with greyish green legs, a dark bill, shortish neck and a decided upright posture. We feel certain it was an immature Little Blue Heron.

Tonight Kory repeated his one time visual egret count of last night (when he had 155); tonight he tallied 116. This is testament to the heavily leafed  trees in which the egrets roosted; most birds were not visible to binocular view. With tonight's strong winds birds roosted deeper in the canopy.

The number of Great Egrets counted tonight makes this the largest known egret roost in Ontario (and in Canada) surpassing Luther Marsh which had a high count of 386 last year. We do not know if this roost will keep growing through the season or not; most post-breeding egret roosts are just starting, e.g. the Luther roost had just under 100 birds last week.

Ontbirders are reminded to keep watch for egret roosts and to report them to me, personally. If you'd like to participate in roost counts, also email me.

Also, over 150 Great Egrets and Great Blue Herons have been marked with Green or Orange wing-tags bearing  numbers and letters this summer. Please report any sightings of these birds - and their tag characters, as well.

Cheers,

Chip