[Ontbirds] dickson school chimney swifts

Bill Read info at billreadsbooks.com
Thu Aug 23 22:57:19 EDT 2012

Hi Ontbirders   A good night at the Dickson school Chimney Swift roost with 462 along with 30 nighthawks The CHSW were flying very high and we believe feeding on very small flying ants which were everywhere.  It was difficult counting them as they had a late entry with many going in at the same time. Thanks to Jerry Guenther and Susan Fogo for their counting skills. We may not have counters over the weekend so if anyone is out they can send the count numbers to me. Thanks Bill Read

Directions: From Highway 24 (Hespeler Road/Water St.) go to Concession Street. Turn west on Concession, cross the bridge, and turn north on Grand Ave. Turn left at the second street on the left, St. Andrews. The school is located at 65 St. Andrews St. Access the parking area (and chimney), by driving past the school, turning left on Fraser St., then left at the first street. This dead ends at the school.

Great parking available, bring a lawn chair for comfortable viewing. Arrive about 1.5 hours before dusk to watch the birds circling the building, before they dive into the chimney.