[Ontbirds] SW of Kitchener - Dickcissel

Norm Murr normurr at sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 11 07:34:14 EDT 2012

After a great day at Hawk Cliff near Port Stanley Ian Cannell and I were up in the area of the Wildwood Lake Cons. Area and after checking that area we headed home.

While driving east along Cty Rd 28 (Maplewood Sideroad) between 17th and 18th Line south of Punkeydoodles Corners we spotted an adult Red-headed Woodpecker. After looking at this nice bird just across the road we continued along Cty Rd 28 to Cty Rd 5 jogged a little south to Bridge St. and continued east and between Walker Rd and Tye Rd Ian spotted a bird on a telephone wire and stopped the car. This bird turned out to be a juvenile Dickcissel that posed for us for a few minutes before flying across the road and out of sight.

Directions to Dickcissel.

>From Kitchener drive west on Highway 7 through New Hamburg to Wilmot – Easthope Road (Cty Rd 1). Turn left (south) and drive approx. 5 1/2 km south along Easthope Road through Punkeydoodles Corners to Bridge Street. (Just before Bridge Street you will pass Cty Rd 28 (Maplewood Sideroad) – the Red-headed Woodpecker was approx. 1 3/4 km west of here. Turn left (east) on Bridge Street and drive approx. 6 1/2 km to a large Sunflower field (on your right). The Dickcissel was on a wire beside this field.

Norm Murr
303-48 Laverock Ave.