[Ontbirds] HSR: Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch (14 Sep 2012) 136 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Sat Sep 15 00:09:24 EDT 2012

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch
Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 14, 2012

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture               0              0              0
Osprey                       3             86            105
Bald Eagle                   1             51             64
Northern Harrier             6            124            173
Sharp-shinned Hawk          61            714            721
Cooper's Hawk                6             20             21
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              0
Broad-winged Hawk            9           7048           7222
Red-tailed Hawk              0              0              2
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel            49            501            663
Merlin                       1             17             18
Peregrine Falcon             0             11             12
Unknown Accipiter            0              0              0
Unknown Buteo                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0              0

Total:                     136           8572           9001

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end   time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter:        Colin Horstead, Dave Brown, Jim Dunn

Observers:        Ches Caister, Dave Brown, Don Campbell, Linda Parafenko

Visitors:
Quite a few today...M. Irwin, Bruce and Monica Gates (Sudbury) and their
daughter Sarah (Toronto)...Sue Andrew (Toronto)...Dave McDowell and Heather
Pearl (Oshawa), Elizabeth and Bob Sontrop, Mark and Linda and several
others whose names we didn't get...including a couple from just outside
L.A. California.

Weather:
In a word...WET!! After a few birds got up and moving first thing the  cold
front approached from the west and the rain started ...and didn't let up
till 3:00 p.m. At that point the sun came out...and by the end of the day
the winds were still moderate from the NW under a mix of sun and cloud.
Temp cooler to a high of 18C.

Raptor Observations:
After a rough start with just a few raptors...once the rain letup and the
skies opened up there was actually a flurry of activity...and the total was
136 birds....including Osprey (3), Bald Eagle (1 imm counted as
migrant...others were seen cruising the cliff and out over the lake but
were considered local), N. Harriers (6), Sharpies (61), Cooper's Hawk (6),
Broadwing (9) with a few low ones right at the end of the count likely
coming down to roost for the night, Kestrel (49) and a single Merlin.

Non-raptor Observations:
On the passerine front we had several sightings of Red-bellied Woodpecker,
Pileated Woodpecker, Eastern Bluebirds, Common Nighthawk and right near the
end of the day a Black-billed Cuckoo snuck low across the bean field just
south of the knoll.

The Monarchs were very numerous today and were flying even during the
rain. As the day progressed we realized they were roosting just to the
north of the knoll...and sure enough we found a couple of branches with 110
Monarchs...with lots more flying all over the bean field. There's a good
chance there will be some nice Monarch roosts on the east side of the trees
tomorrow (Sat) morning.

Predictions:
Winds are predicted to be NW light to moderate...and skies have cleared.
Combine this with the fact that Saturday is basically the peak date for the
main Broadwing flight for the past several decades....and we may see a very
good flight tomorrow.

Note that this weekend is also the first of the open house weekends with
raptors talks at 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
Report submitted by Dave Brown (thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca)
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch information may be found at:
http://www.ezlink.on.ca/~thebrowns/HawkCliff/index.htm

Directions to site:
>From east 401, take the Highbury south cut off at London, follow Highbury
(Hwy 30) south to St. Thomas. Highbury changes into South Edgeware at a set
of lights with a curve ramp to the west. Follow South Edgeware west to the
first set of traffic lights - Burwell Road, turn left (south) and stay on
this road. It becomes Fairview Ave (Regional Road 22), which runs directly
into Hawk Cliff Road (gravel) on the south side of Dexter Line. Just
continue down gravel road to viewing area.

>From west 401, take the Highway # 4 (Colonel Talbot Rd.) exit south,
through Talbotville, road now is Sunset Rd. continue towards St. Thomas;
you will come to a veer in the road, straight up to St. Thomas, veer to the
right for Port Stanley, follow Highway 4, now Sunset to Port Stanley. As
you approach Port Stanley you will come to a large curve  in the road with
a sign saying East St, to the left. Take East St., and follow it to the
first road left, (opposite Port Stanley Water Tower) Dexter Line. Follow
Dexter Line approximately 2 km. and turn right down gravel Hawk Cliff Rd
and follow gravel road to viewing area.