[Ontbirds] Pembroke - Nelson's & Le Conte's Sparrow, Eastern Towhee

Patrick Blake pjblake22 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 3 16:03:10 EDT 2012

I spent the day at Westmeath Provincial Park outside of Pembroke.  Sparrows were the target species, and the Park did not disappoint.  I found two NELSON'S SPARROWS and one LE CONTE'S SPARROW in the tall vegetation along the shore of the Park.  The Nelson's were observed well, but the Le Conte's proved to be very difficult to see for more than a second (keeping to its reputation as a skulker).  There were plenty of WHITE-CROWNED, WHITE-THROATED, and SWAMP SPARROWS as well.  On the way out of the Park, I heard the unmistakable "chewink" call of an EASTERN TOWHEE, which was quite vocal although it never revealed itself.  I also heard one SANDHILL CRANE calling on the walk out; it sounded pretty close, but I was not able to determine if it was in a nearby field or flying overhead, as the trail leading out of the park is in thick woods.
Good birding!Pat
DIRECTIONS: Westmeath Provincial Park is located on the Ottawa River east of Pembroke.  The entrance trail (which is poorly marked) is found along Westmeath Road (CR-12) near Old Mill Bridge Road.  Expect a long walk into the park before reaching the sandy shoreline where most of these sightings occurred.