[Ontbirds] Bitter, Soras, Orange-crowned Warblers, Siskins, etc. - Toronto Islands

Norm Murr normurr at sympatico.ca
Sun Oct 7 19:30:43 EDT 2012

Good evening folks.

Today I joined Alfred Adamo, Bill Smith, Gavin Pratt and Peter McParland and together we birded Hanlan’s Point during the morning and early afternoon and I finished the day by myself and continued birding Hanlan’s to the Trout Pond.

Following are some of the birds we found today and there were some interesting ones.

We found 61 species including American Bittern, Sharp-shinned and Cooper’s Hawks, 2 Soras (Gavin only), finally some shorebirds as it was too cool for the usual clothing challenged beach strollers - A. Golden Plovers, Greater Yellowlegs, Dunlin, and Common Snipe, 10+ Y-B Sapsuckers, 20+ E. Phoebes, 10+  Red-breasted Nuthatches, Swainson’s Thrush, 60+ Hermit Thrushes, Gray Catbirds,  Brown Thrasher, Blue-headed and Red-eyed Vireos, an amazing (for me) 15 Orange-crowned Warblers, 200+ Palm Warblers, 100+ of them in the beach area, 10+ Nashville Warblers, 10 sparrow species including Eastern Towhee, Field, Fox, Swamp, and Lincoln’s Sparrows, Rusty Blackbirds, Purple Finches and 32 Pine Siskins.

Note:- Tomorrow is the last day that ferries will be going to Hanlan’s Point and Centre Island. Ferries to these two locations will not resume until Apr. 13, 2013 so if you want to bird the very good areas on Hanlan’s after Oct. 8th (and it is good, sometimes very good at that time) you will have to walk from Ward’s to Hanlan’s and all the way back again a distance of about 10 km but about 12 to 15 as the birder walks.

Another Note:- If you want to learn more about birding on the Toronto Islands you can access my Toronto Islands Birding And Site Guide on the OFO web site at -

http://www.ofo.ca/reportsandarticles/torontoislands.php

There is also a free downloadable PDF copy at that site.

Toronto Islands – Fall Schedule

Fare:- Adults $7:00 - Seniors / Students – $4.50

DIRECTIONS TO THE TORONTO ISLANDS FERRY DOCKS

If you are on the subway southbound get off at the TTC’s Union Subway Station, walk south on bay Street (on the east side of the station) for about 1 km to the ferry docks at the foot of Bay Street at Queen’s Quay and you are there. The entrance to the ferry docks (well signed) is on the west side of the Weston Harbour Castle Hotel.

To get to the Toronto Islands from the TTC’s Union Subway Station on the TTC you may transfer to the #6 or the #6A Bay Street TTC bus just outside of the east entrance to the GO Station. They both go down Bay Street to Queen’s Quay. Go passengers arriving by bus or train must pay a fare to use the bus or streetcar *.

* When running there is a street car (#509 Harbourfront) that goes from inside the Union Subway Station to Queen’s Quay (no transfer required).
For those who choose to head down to the docks on a Sunday before the subway opens at 9 am you can take the 97B Yonge Street Blue night bus (Steeles Ave. to Queen’s Quay) only steps from the ferry docks entrance.

You may also want to visit the TTC web page at  http://www.ttc.ca/  for trip planning assistance.

If in an auto on the Gardener Expressway or Lakeshore Blvd, then exit at Bay Street and drive south to Queen’s Quay. Be aware that there is a very limited number of parking lots close to the docks. One of these (fee) is one block north of Queen’s Quay on Bay Street. As far as I know there is no parking allowed on any of the streets very near to the docks.

Norm Murr
303-48 Laverock Ave.
Richmond Hill, Ontario
L4C 4J5