[Ontbirds] Cattle Egret - Sault Ste. Marie, ON

McIlwrick, Ken Ken.McIlwrick at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Sun Nov 18 21:48:58 EST 2012

Hi Folks,

At 12:45pm, my wife Maureen alerted me to a small white egret feeding on the front lawn of 582 Garden River Road in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. At around 1:15pm, I also had a chance to observe the bird in question, which turned out to be a Cattle Egret in adult plumage. I took photographs and video of this bird as it continuously fed on earthworms on a large area of manicured lawn adjacent to a horse paddock (at this location). I popped by later in the day around 3:00pm and it was still there.  Members of the Yahoo Group "saultbirds" can view some photos once I get a chance to post a few.

Old Garden River Road is located in the north-central part of town (east of Great Northern Road). Sault Ste. Marie is located 3 hours west of Sudbury on Hwy 17.

Ken McIlwrick

Sault Ste. Marie, ON