[Ontbirds] 2012-2013 Ontario winter bird list update #5

Josh Vandermeulen joshvandermeulen at live.ca
Tue Jan 15 12:10:43 EST 2013

We are halfway through the month of January, meaning we are also more than halfway through the winter birding period, running from December 1 to February 28. Since the last update (end of December), 5 more species have been added to the cumulative total for this winter, and one species has been removed, bringing the total winter list up to 209. We are still quite a ways away from beating last year's mark of 224, but it is still within the realm of possibility. I have sent the updated list to Blake Maybank and he will post it on his web page soon. A link to the webpage: http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/maybank/other/onwinter.htm
Since the last update, the new species are Boreal Owl (January 2), Brant (January 3), Baltimore Oriole (was present for a few days in late November and early December), and Laughing Gull (January 13). The bird identified as a Blackpoll Warbler at Sedgewick Park in Oakville has been subsequently photographed and seen by many and is a Bay-breasted Warbler. This is only the 3rd winter record, and is by far the latest record with the previous two records being in early December. It is still present.
Some of the more notable misses so far include California Gull, Pomarine Jaeger, Barn Owl, and Blue-headed Vireo. Send me an email if you know of any species that would be new to the winter list.
Good birding, Josh

Josh Vandermeulen
Guelph, Ontario

joshvandermeulen at live.ca