[Ontbirds] Guelph Arboretum Barred Owl, Bohemians and Brown Thrasher

Chris Earley cearley at uoguelph.ca
Wed Jan 16 16:07:06 EST 2013

Hi, everyone,

The Barred Owl sat in one spot all day today and was seen by many. Our
Bohemian Waxwings are still around but in lower numbers; one flock was
seen visiting the junipers on the west side of The Arboretum Centre this
afternoon.  The Brown Thrasher is also still present but it is being
seen less frequently.  Last report was on Monday on the west side of The
Arboretum Centre.  We also have at least two Sharp-shinned Hawks and two
Cooper's Hawks in the area and had one Hoary Redpoll last week at The
Arboretum Centre feeders but it hasn't been seen since.

BTW, we still have space for this Friday's (Jan 18th) Owl Workshop and
can take registrations up until 3 pm on Thursday.  Go to
http://www.uoguelph.ca/arboretum/educationandevents/workshops.shtml for
details.  It'll be a hoot!

Cheers, Chris Earley  p.s. go to our flickr site to see some recent
photos of these birds:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/52649814@N05/

To get to The Arboretum Centre, follow highway 6 north from the 401.
Turn right (east) onto College Ave.  Follow College almost to its end at
Victoria Rd.  Just before Victoria Road, turn right at our Arboretum
entrance and follow the road to the two large parking lots.  The
Arboretum Centre is to the right of the parking lots.