[Ontbirds] Red Crossbills, Black-backed Woodpeckers, Great Gray Owl

Michael Runtz mruntz at start.ca
Wed Feb 13 22:29:18 EST 2013

Today I birded the two eastern access roads in Algonquin Provincial Park.
First I covered the Barron Canyon Road from the gate to Lake Travers.
Red-breasted Nuthatches were the most common birds.  There were several
small flocks of Red Crossbills of the small-billed type.  There were only a
few of the larger-billed types but one of those was in full song. The only
other finches observed was a small flock of White-winged Crossbills.
Notably there were 5 Black-backed Woodpeckers, 20 Gray Jays, and one Boreal
Chickadee along the road.  NOTE:  log hauling is taking place on weekdays
from the gate to Km 52 (Lake Travers is at km 72).  A CB radio is
recommended if going on a weekday (there is no hauling on weekends).  The
Basin Road, which I birded from 3 to 5 p.m., also had a few Red Crossbills
and Gray Jays, as well as one Barred Owl.  When I left the park I came
across a Great Gray Owl at dusk on the north side of Highway 60, half a km
west of the 512 intersection at Killaloe.

The Barron Canyon Road can be accessed just off Highway 17 near Petawawa,
and the Basin Road from opposite Bonnechere Provincial Park.

Good birding!
Michael Runtz