[Ontbirds] Golden Eagles in Larose Forest - Ottawa

George Naylor georgenaylor at sympatico.ca
Mon Feb 18 15:50:45 EST 2013

On a weekend visit to Ottawa, we went to a tree farm at the edge of the Larose forest for the 2nd time in two days to look for Pine & Evening Grosbeaks that were reported there - without luck. We continued into the forest, and about halfway through, in an open area on the left, (N?) side of the road, I spotted two large birds in a tree about 200 meters away. One bird flew almost immediately, and it was an adult Golden Eagle. The bird that remained in the tree had some white at the base of the tail. When it eventually flew, white at the base of the primaries indicated a subadult bird.  Rhonnda got some decent pictures of the second bird, both perched & flying. George Naylor & Rhondda James Directions Larose Forest is near Limoges, south and east of Ottawa.
>From Ottawa, take 417E to the Limoges exit (Exit 79). Go N on Limoges Rd. (Hwy 5) Limoges Rd curves to the right and becomes Saumure Rd. After you pass Beaver Line
Rd, near Cambridge Forest Estates, you enter the Larose Forest.  The house where the Grosbeaks were reported is on the right. There is a Christmas Tree sign at the driveway.  The house has numerous feeders, and lots of bird activity.  Continue past the house about two Kms to where the eagles were sighted.