[Ontbirds] Great Gray Owl - West of Ottawa - one fewer

Wendt family swendt at xplornet.com
Tue Mar 5 12:56:07 EST 2013

On Vance Side Road, east of the corner with Dunrobin Road, we found a
road-kill Great Gray Owl on Saturday, March 2, after dark. We drove by
it without being sure what it was - a first impression was a clump of
dirty snow - but the jiss of OWL persisted so we turned the car around
to have another look. We later heard that the dead bird had been seen
there about an hour earlier, so we suppose it was killed around dusk. It
did not seem plump, however it weighed about 1250 g., so it was not
extremely light for the species.

Steve Wendt

--
Wendt family standard email account