[Ontbirds] Harris's Sparrow, Cambridge, King Eider, Port Weller.

Ian Cannell cannell at rogers.com
Tue Mar 5 20:25:12 EST 2013

Norm Murr and I had a rewarding day of birding today.

Highlights:

The Harris's Sparrow showed up below the feeder at 6547 Ellis Road,
Cambridge, at 7:15, within five minutes of our arrival.

The King Eider at Port Weller was in the same spot as described below by
Geoff Carpentier; within 100 meters of the start of the path.

Again, Norm found it within 5 minutes of our arrival.  Initially it was
dozing, but soon gave full views.

For those looking for the other grebes at Col. Sam, note that we observed
six Horned Grebes on the west side.

Up on the 10th Concession of Saltfleet we observed Geoff's White-crowned
Sparrow and there was a pair of Harriers hunting.

Other species observed in our peregrinations included 60+ Horned Larks, 40+
Wild Turkeys in two flocks, a Mockingbird and a Cooper's Hawk.

Mammals included a coyote and nine deer.

Harris's Sparrow Directions: Courtesy David Pryor

The location is 6547 Ellis Road, in east Cambridge.

Take exit 286 (Townline Road) north from HWY 401. Take the first right

(Ellis Road)  and the house is on the right.

King Eider Directions, courtesy Geoff Carpentier

Exit the Queen Elizabeth Highway in St. Catharines at Niagara Street.
Proceed north 5 km. to the T intersection at Lakeshore Road. Turn right here
and drive east .9 km over the Lock 1 bridge of the Welland Canal to Seaway
Haulage Road. Turn left, cross over Broadway Avenue and continue on Seaway
Haulage Road (as it parallels the Welland Canal) to the barrier that stops
all traffic. Park here (off to the side) and walk out the west side bicycle
path (not the main gravel road). Once along side the canal, immediately
start looking for the bird

Directions again, courtesy of Geoff: Col. Sam Smith Park is located at the
terminus of Kipling Ave. and Lakeshore Blvd. in Toronto. When you get to the
parking lot walk south past the yellow gate and then west.