[Ontbirds] Ottawa/Gatineau - 7 March 2013 - Recent Reports

Bob Cermak robertcermak9 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 7 14:46:41 EST 2013

Ontario/Quebec
Ottawa/Gatineau

Hotline: Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club (OFNC)
Phone number: 613-860-9000
For the Bird Status Line PRESS * (star)
To report bird sightings PRESS 1 (one)
Coverage: Ottawa/Gatineau (Canada National Capital Region) E. Ontario, W. Quebec
Compiler & transcriber Bob Cermak robertcermak9 at hotmail.com or sightings at ofnc.ca

BOREAL CHICKADEE (3) continue at a feeder in Val-des-Monts north of Perkins, QC since February 13th. COMMON and HOARY (2) REDPOLL and PINE GROSBEAK (5) were also reported at that location on the 3rd. The home owner welcomes birders to view these birds at 121 Chemin Blackburn which is about 12 km north of Perkins on the east side of hwy 366. Please park on Blackburn and walk half way up the laneway to view the birds at the feeders in front of the house or in the trees above the feeders. Although the BOREAL CHICKADEE have been seen and heard often in the morning the home owner suggests they arrive most often in the afternoon.

A gray morph GYRFALCON was seen briefly flying north over Aylmer on the 3rd. Unfortunately it was not subsequently seen.

BALD EAGLE (6) and GOLDEN EAGLE (1 juv) were seen at the base of the Gatineau escarpment from the Eardley-Masham Road on the 3rd.

BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKER (1 female) seen every day since the 2nd was joined by 1 male on the 5th and 6th near the Jack Pine Trail parking area or east along the Jack Pine Trail to the feeder. A female continues to be seen at the nearby burn site on the Lime Kiln Trail so there appears to be at least 3 in that Stony Swamp Conservation area.

The TUFTED TITMOUSE continues at the feeders at 119 (1 seen on the 3rd) or 129 Chemin des Hirondelles at Luskville Beach.

BOHEMIAN WAXWING appear to be moving through our area, 300+ were seen in the Carleton University area on the 4th and 150+ were seen in Strathcona Park on the 5th.

Small flocks of HORNED LARK appear to be moving through our area. One observant birder noted "I used the supercillium/uni-brow mark as my guide re: differentiating between Prairie and Northern subspecies. Throat coloration shows great variety so I focused on the coloration of the supercillium which, to me, is a more accurate indicator." A mixed flock of (15-20) were seen on Steeple Hill Crescent at Richmond Rd and (6) were seen on Twin Elm with SNOW BUNTING (25) on the 3rd.

Interesting sighting were;
- BROWN-HEADED COWBIRD (1) at the Russell dump on the 2nd
- GREEN-WINGED TEAL (1 male) continues on the March Valley Rd creek just south of Klondike Rd
- NORTHERN SHRIKE (1) at Richardson Side Rd and Terry Fox
- NORTHERN FLICKER (1), reported Jan 17th, was seen at the feeder behind the Fletcher Wildlife Garden club house on Feb 25th and at the Central Experimental Farm Arboretum on March 4th

Thanks to everyone who contributed bird observations - Good Birding!