[Ontbirds] Western Grebe, Harlequin Duck continue @ Sam Smith, March 07/13

Len M fdcoboy at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 7 15:08:02 EST 2013

Ontbirders,

Hello there. The continuing WESTERN GREBE and HARLEQUIN DUCK at Colonel Sam Smith Park in Etobicoke, were re-found this morning by Joanne Redwood and I.

The Western Grebe was viewed in the lake off the western spit. Photos were taken and excellent views were had.
The Harlequin Duck also showed well, and was with Common Goldeneye and other divers in the eastern most bay of the park.

No sign of the Snowy Owl today but it is a huge area so it could be anywhere.

Red-necked Grebe and a singing Northern Shrike(first I've ever heard) were other highlights.

Directions courtesy of Luc Fazio
Directions to Colonel Sam Smith Spit {{ AKA Kipling spit)
Drive south on Kipling Ave. at Lakeshore Blvd. in Etobicoke, go past Father redmod High Scool, park closest to the lake.
Walk toward the lake 400 m SW for Western Grebe. The Grebe is in the open water.
Walk east along lake from here and stop at eastern most bay for Harlequin.

Best,

Len Manning
Hamilton, ON