[Ontbirds] Double-crested Cormorant at Frenchman's Bay, Pickering

Weseloh,Chip [Ontario] Chip.Weseloh at ec.gc.ca
Thu Mar 7 21:15:58 EST 2013

This afternoon at approximately 12:45, we observed a single
Double-crested Cormorant standing on the ice edge at a large expanse of
open water in Frenchman's Bay, Pickering.  Cormorants usually come back
about the last week of March. So, if this bird is a migrant, it's a
couple weeks early. It's possible it overwintered but we were at the
same location on 3 March and did not see it. There are also about 50
Mute Swans and 7 or so Trumpeter Swans there as well as many ducks and
Canada Geese.

Chip and Lind Weseloh

Directions: Take the Liverpool Road exit off Hwy 401 in Pickering, east
of Toronto.  Go South until you are nearly at Lake Ontario, take any
right hand turn that goes to the water (e.g. Annland St., Waterpoint
St.). Scan the ice edge about 1/3 the way across the Bay.