[Ontbirds] Western Grebe & Harlequin Duck, Col. Sam Smith Park, Toronto

Chris Kimber cmkimber at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 12:56:00 EST 2013

Both the Western Grebe and Harlequin Duck remain at Col. Samuel Smith
Park and were seen this morning by Mike Kimber, Julian Sidebottom and
myself along with several other observers.

The grebe was yet again off to the south of the western spit partway
to the tip. When we arrived shortly after 10am it was quite close to
shore and offered great looks on a nearly flat lake, but steadily
drifted off to the SW and was quite distant when we departed.  It was
loosely associating with 8 or so Red-necked Grebes.  Several other
Red-necks and a pair of Horned Grebes were in the marina bay.

The Harlequin was seen on the E side from the northern-most spit at a
great distance, looking off towards the downtown skyline. It dove
constantly and rarely spent more than a second above water.

Directions: Col. Sam Smith Park is located at the terminus of Kipling
Ave. south of Lakeshore Blvd. in Toronto. Continue S from Lakeshore
past the various school buildings to the end of the road and park in
the last (free) lot.  Walk south from here and around the southern
shore of the marina for the grebe, or take any of the paths east to
access the duck.

Good birding!

Chris Kimber
PhD Candidate