[Ontbirds] Western and other Grebes

Norm Murr normurr at sympatico.ca
Sat Mar 9 17:43:27 EST 2013

I noticed that no one has posted any Grebe sightings for Colonel Sam Smith Park yet today though there were many birders and photographers present this morning.

Ian Cannell, Jay Peterson and I birded the park this morning after 7:30 am and we viewed the Western Grebe close to shore on the lake about half way out the outer peninsula.

I also counted 8 Horned Grebes and 44 Red-necked Grebes (undercounted I’m sure).

We also saw the male Harlequin Duck in the bay on the east side of the park and it too was close in.

Directions:-

COLONEL SAMUEL SMITH  PARK IN ETOBICOKE -TORONTO

  To get to Col. Sam Smith Park from Queen & Yonge Streets. Take the Queen Street Car #501 (Long Branch) west to Kipling Ave. The park is across from the street car stop behind the Humber College buildings. Depending on which Queen Street streetcar you board you may or may not have to transfer from one car to another at the Humber Loop, but this is no big deal.

You can also take the Kipling South #44 TTC bus from Kipling subway station directly to the Col. Sam Smith Park loop.

By automobile from downtown Toronto drive west on Lakeshore Blvd, cross the Humber River Bridge at Sunnyside and drive to Kipling Ave. turn left (south) and your in Colonel Sam Smith Park..

Norm Murr
Richmond Hill
Ontario, Canada