[Ontbirds] OFO Outing Long Point

Diane Salter bigcreek at kwic.com
Sat Mar 9 20:23:02 EST 2013

There was a large turnout for the Long Point Outing.  Over 45
participants started the day.  Unfortunately fog rolled in early in the
morning & the swans didn't move inland into the fields from the Bay as
they would normally.  We did find one group in the fields but they soon
disappeared in the fog.   There were good looks at 2 Sandhill Cranes
near Lee Browns & other small groups in a couple of other areas.    We
spent time at the Harbour in Port Rowan where we could hear swans & see
ducks in the fog.  Identification was difficult as the fog rolled over
the ice and open water.  After lunch at BSC we walked back to the
lookout & had excellent views of bald eagles in the trees by the waters
edge.  At least 5 different eagles flew out of this area.   All of the
inland water areas were still frozen & covered with snow.

We again drove the roads looking for swans & found a juvenile golden
eagle flying over a group of swans.  Back to the Harbour at the end of
the day to find the fog had lifted. Hundreds of Swans (including 1
Trumpeter) & large rafts of ducks (at least 13 species) filled the
waters.   A total of 48 species were seen during the day.

Special thanks to Doug Tozer & Adam Timpf for co-leading the group.
Also thanks to BSC for welcoming the group to their building for lunch &
to the St. Williams Interpretive Centre for use of their facilities at
our meeting point.

Diane Salter