[Ontbirds] Tundra Swans - nr. Grand Bend

Maris Apse apsemaris at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 10 11:46:25 EDT 2013

Yesterday, as I walked out of the garage a Turkey Vulture soared over the house, prompting me to drive down to check the Thedford bog area off Greenway Rd for swans. I estimated ~ 800/1,000 birds - almost all resting among the corn stub on the south side of the road ~400 M east of Hwy #21 and directly behind Lambton County Museum off Goosemarsh Rd.
There was very little open water and a few swans and gulls were on the ice but this has probably already changed with warm temperatures overnight and the bright sun shining this morning. Forecast of rain tonight and to-morrow should make for a lot more water out on the flats and facilitate more waterfowl migrants to show up imminently. Hopefullt the cooler temps starting Tue/Wed won't slow the birds too much!

Directions - Greenway Road runs east from Hwy #21 just north of Pinery P.P. entry gates, past the museum and ends at Greenway on Middlesex County Rd #81. I did not venture around the gravel roads to look for more flocks yesterday.    Cheers!   Maris

  Maris Apse  Box 22  BOP  RR2  Grand Bend  ON  N0M 1T0  519-238-8415