[Ontbirds] Shrikes on the Carden Alvar

Jean Iron jeaniron at sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 10 14:13:27 EDT 2013

Yesterday, 9 April 2013, Eleanor Beagan and I went to the Carden Alvar east
of Lake Simcoe looking for newly arrived Loggerhead Shrikes. We saw two
Loggerhead Shrikes but also saw several Northern Shrikes in areas usually
occupied by Loggerhead Shrikes, such as on Wylie Road. Adult shrikes are
more difficult to identify at this time of year because many adult Northerns
have all black bills and their barring below has worn off or is very faint.

See yesterday's photos comparing Loggerhead and Northern Shrikes
http://www.jeaniron.ca/2013/shrikescarden.htm

Shrike Identification Tips
http://www.ofo.ca/webapp/site/page/view/articles.shrikeid

Birdfinding Guide and Map to the Carden Alvar
http://www.ofo.ca/webapp/site/page/view/articles.cardenalvar

Jean Iron
Toronto, Ontario