[Ontbirds] Dickcissel at Luther Marsh

Paul FJ. Eagles eagles at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jul 4 13:13:04 EDT 2013

Folks,

The Dickcissel is still present at Luther Marsh in the same location on the 21/22nd about 700 meters south of the Village of Monticello. The bird sang almost constantly during my visit. He aggressively chased a female Red-winged Blackbird and was in turn chased by the male. He is found in a regrowth old field. He often sings from the Cedar and Spruce trees along the road and from the tops of young Larch planted in the field.

At this location I heard an Upland Sandpiper calling in the distance, as well as a Black-billed Cuckoo and Brown Thrasher. Bobolinks are also present.

Monticello is south of HWY 89 & west of County Rd 25 on the North East corner of Luther Marsh Conservation Area.

Paul F. J. Eagles
Branchton, ON

WEB Page: http://www.ahs.uwaterloo.ca/~eagles/