[Ontbirds] swallows and nighthawks - Scugog Twp Aug 7th

Geoff Carpentier geoff.carpentier at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 10:30:16 EDT 2013

A fairly large flight of swallows was noted over my house last evening moving south ahead of the storm front that moved in about 8 p.m. Five species were noted (missed Purple Martin which is virtually gone from Durham now) involving about 225 birds.

Also two nighthawks moved through about 8:15 p.m.

My bluebirds are raising their second brood now and the bizarre relationship with Pine Warblers continues. I first noted this in the fall of 2011, where the Pine Warblers forage on the ground but only when the bluebirds are present and hunting. Frequently I see the Pine Warblers in the trees, doing what they should do, but often near the bluebirds. Watching? Also one of my hummers apparently hates Pine Warblers as it chases it relentlessly when it sees it. Ah the joy of watching the finer moments in birds' lives!

Nearest intersection: Lakeridge at Reach St.

Geoff Carpentier
www.avocetnatureservices.com