[Ontbirds] OFO Durham Marshes Trip - August 11

John Stirrat john.stirrat at sympatico.ca
Sun Aug 11 22:01:37 EDT 2013

Great weather greeted the 33 participants on today's OFO Durham Marshes and
that helped us to a total of 65 species seen (or heard) by most.

Despite overnight north winds with cooler temperatures, we saw no migrant
songbirds. The only passerines were judged to be locals - Yellow Warbler,
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Baltimore Oriole, Eastern
Kingbird and Willow Flycatcher.

We spent most of the day at Cranberry Marsh (the only shorebird habitat in
the area) so our totals were boosted by 9 species of shorebirds - Greater
and Lesser Yellowlegs, Pectoral, Spotted and Least Sandpipers, Short-billed
Dowitchers, Wilson's Snipe, Killdeer and a flyover of a small flock of
Semi-palmated Plovers. We had great looks at Great Blue Herons,
Black-crowned Night Herons and Great Egrets (no tags) and at least one
person spotted a Least Bittern.

Waterbirds were well represented with highlights being Wood Ducks, both
Teals, Pied-billed Grebes, Hooded Mergansers, Trumpeter Swans and a lone
Moorhen that made a brief appearance. Caspian Terns and a Belted Kingfisher
dove for fish in the open water. Both Marsh Wren and Swamp Sparrow sang
occasionally.

A trip to the Lake Ontario shore gave us a Common Loon but nothing much else
on the lake. An Osprey flew over Lynde Creek in the route back to the
vehicles.

After lunch, we toured around Carruthers Creek Marsh and saw no new species
but had good looks at Great Blues and Cormorants feeding on what looked like
catfish.

Rayfield Pye and John Stirrat