[Ontbirds] Toronto Islands today

Norm Murr normurr at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 8 18:40:29 EDT 2013

Today I joined Alfred Adamo, Gavin Platt and Margaret Liubavicius for a beautiful fall day of birding and later on I was spotted by Alexandra Soliman and Brent Osojima so I joined them for a couple of hours of birding.

All of our birding was on Hanlan’s Point only and following are some of the 59 species of birds that were found by the crowd.

Common Loon, Horned Grebe, Common Mergansers, Northern Harrier, Cooper’s Hawk, American Kestrels, Merlin, Peregrine Falcon, Common Snipes, 5 woodpecker species including 2 Red-headed Woodpeckers, Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, Eastern Phoebes, 50+ migrating Blue Jays, Brown Creepers, 2 House Wrens, Winter Wrens, many Golden-crowned and Ruby-crowned Kinglets, many Hermit Thrushes, Gray Catbird, 50+ American Pipits, Blue-headed and Red-eyed Vireos, 10 warbler species including a minimum of 10 Orange-crowned Warblers (don’t have others totals), many Nashville Warblers, 2 Northern Parulas, 150++ Palm Warblers, Wilson’s Warbler (found by another birder), 11 sparrow species including Eastern Towhees, Nelson’s Sparrow (found by Gavin), Lincoln’s Sparrows, 10+ Swamp Sparrows, many White-crowned and White-throated Sparrows, Dark-eyed Juncos, Bobolink, and Rusty Blackbirds.

NOTE :- If you want to learn more about birding on the Toronto Islands you can access my Toronto Islands Birding And Site Guide on the OFO web site at:-
http://www.ofo.ca/reportsandarticles/torontoislands.php

DIRECTIONS TO THE TORONTO ISLAND FERRY DOCKS

Fare :- Adults $7.00 - Seniors / Students $4.50

TORONTO ISLANDS - FALL SCHEDULE

Note:- After October 15th there will be no ferries to Hanlan’s Point or Centre Island until April 2014, the Ward’s Island ferry will continue to operate during that period as usual.

If you are on the subway southbound get off at the TTC’s Union Subway Station, walk south on Bay Street (on the east side of the station) for about 1 km to the ferry docks at the foot of Bay Street at Queen’s Quay and you are there. The entrance to the ferry docks (well signed) is on the west side of the Westin Harbour Castle Hotel.

To get to the Toronto Islands from the TTC’s Union Subway Station on the TTC you may transfer to the #6 or the #6A Bay St. TTC bus on Bay Street just outside of the east entrance to the GO Station. They both go down Bay Street to Queen’s Quay. Go passengers arriving by train or bus must pay a fare to use the TTC bus or streetcar.

When running there is a street car (#509 Harbourfront) that goes from inside the TTC’s Union Subway Station to Queen’s Quay (no transfer required).

For those who choose to head down to the docks on Sunday before the Subway opens you can catch the #97B Yonge St. Blue Night bus (Steeles Ave. To Queens Quay). This bus will let you off right across the street on Bay St. only steps from the ferry docks entrance.

You may also want to visit the TTC web page  http://www.ttc.ca/  for trip planning assistance.

If in an auto on the Gardener Expressway or on Lakeshore Blvd, then exit at Bay Street and drive south to Queen’s Quay, there are very few parking lots nearby. One is located just a block north of the ferry docks.

Another Note:- After October 14th there will be no ferry to Hanlan’s Point or Centre Island until next April, only the Ward’s Island ferry will be running until then.

Norm Murr
Richmond Hill
Ontario, Canada