[Ontbirds] Brown Booby Oct 9

E. Smout eas9999 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 9 22:01:38 EDT 2013

Hi All

Just to recap the afternoon at Fort Erie.  I arrived at the parking lot across from Old Fort Erie just before 1 pm, no bird.  About 45 minutes later a small, sleeping bird was discovered,  by a sharp eyed birder, sitting on the end of the Donelly Pier.  This bird became visible as the Coromorants parted and I believe it had been there the whole time I was there.  After about 30 or so minutes of discussion, speculation and excitement the bird in question stood up and was obviously the Brown Booby.  After about 30 minutes or so of standing in the midst of the Cormorants, the bird flew towards the lake.  Those of us with scopes watched it until it went out of sight.  This was around 2:30-3pm this afternoon. I waited about an hour and it did not re-appear.

FYI AT&T seems to predominate over Rogers at Fort Erie so there was no Rogers service for email or phone, someone did have Telus data service on their iPad.  This impedes timely emails.  I had to drove about 1Km towards Fort Erie to get rid of AT&T service.

Sorry if this has been posted already, I just got home.

Good birding,

Ellen Smout
London, Ont.